Members of ISM—Kansas City Code of Conduct
- Avoid the intent and appearance of unethical or compromising practice in relationships, actions, and communication.
- Demonstrate loyalty to the employer by diligently following the lawful instructions of the employer, using reasonable care and only authority granted.
- Refrain from any private business or professional activity that would create a conflict between personal interests and the interests of the employer.
- Refrain from soliciting or accepting money, loans, credits, or prejudicial discounts, and the acceptance of gifts, entertainment, favors, or services from present or potential suppliers that might influence, or appear to influence, purchasing decisions.
- Handle confidential or proprietary information belonging to employers or suppliers with due care and proper consideration of ethical and legal ramifications and governmental regulations.
- Promote positive supplier relationships through courtesy and impartiality in all phases of the purchasing cycle.
- Refrain from reciprocal agreements that restrain competition.
- Know and obey the letter and spirit of laws governing the purchasing function and remain alert to the legal ramifications of purchasing decisions.
- Encourage all segments of society to participate by demonstrating support for small, disadvantaged, and minority-owed businesses.
- Discourage the involvement in employer-sponsored programs of personal purchases that are not business related.
- Enhance the proficiency and stature of the purchasing profession by acquiring and maintaining current technical knowledge and the highest standards of ethical behavior.
- Conduct international purchasing in accordance with the laws, customs, and practices of foreign countries, consistent with U.S. laws, your organization policies, and these Ethical Standards and Guidelines.